Friday, February 5, 2010

An Introduction

Hi, I'm Ivy F Inmate but you can call me Ivy.  I've decided to start this blog so I can share with the world the story of my life as it is today.  A lot of people, particularly my doctors and nurses, like to tell me that I'm on a journey.  Doesn't that sound nice.  The actual definition of journey from the free online dictionary (which we all know is now more reliable than the Oxford Dictionary) is:

a. The act of traveling from one place to another; a trip.
b. A distance to be traveled or the time required for a trip: a 2,000-mile journey to the Pacific; the three-day journey home.

This in no way describes what I am on.  I would love to be going on a 2,000 mile journey to the Pacific.  Partly because that would mean that I'm somewhere far from home (as the pacific is much closer than 2,000 miles from me) and partly because it constructs images (for me anyway) of being a passanger on some luxury cruiseliner sipping martini's by the pool.  Anyway like I said, that definition does not describe the "journey" I am on.

I am on the "infertility journey".  That doesn't sound nearly as nice does it.  That's why I've named my blog Infertility Conviction.  That's what it's more like.  A prison sentence.  It's not about sunning yourself on the deck of a luxury cruiseliner.  It's about stabbing yourself daily with syringes.  It's about blood tests every three days.  It's about internal ultrasounds.  It's about crazy hormonal mood swings.  It's about crying in a heap on the floor when Aunt Flow arrives the day before the test.  It's about not wanting to see your best friends becuase they're pregnant and it hurts too much.  It's not a journey.

So that's me.  An IVF Inmate.  Welcome to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment